Asking For Help

Ask your instructor or program director if you need any of the following kinds of support:

  1. mediation to solve a study-related problem with another party.
  2. help relating to your studies.
  3. you have a disability that means you can’t use the normal facilities (e.g. specific equipment, resources, programs, learning materials in alternative formats such as large print).
  4. you need changes in the schedule to suit your specific needs.

Your instructor or program director might also refer you to outside services:

  1. Specialist study skills programs.
  2. Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) programs
  3. External mediation services
  4. Counselling services
  5. Information technology (IT) support services.

If you need resource centres, first see these web-centrals of resources and external websites. (Links open new windows.) You should also check your local library and its system of inter-library loans. If you need extra resources, ask your supervisor to refer you to other external learning resource centres. It is almost always a good idea to do an Internet search.


  • Language, literacy and numeracy assessment? Most ACAS courses require either fairly minimal literacy skills or postsecondary admission. Numeracy is not normally related to ACAS courses.Many external services charge fees.
  • You are responsible to pay for any services that you agree to take.
  • You should check that the services you need are appropriate to your level of study. For example, if you are enrolled in a higher level program but find that you lack appropriate literacy skills, you might be asked to transfer to a lower program.